Ableton question

Page 3 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: Ableton question

Post by HOT DAMN on Wed Sep 16, 2009 3:46 pm

Thumbs Up

_________________
Chris Hanson
avatar
HOT DAMN
IS A COP
IS A COP

Number of posts : 14742
Points : 457788
Registration date : 2008-07-30
Age : 34
Location : bitch I look like OJ

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Ableton question

Post by Alan_ on Wed Sep 16, 2009 3:50 pm

Chris wrote:get a mac

get me 2 grand, and I'll get a mac.

I can run 60+ tracks in either Nuendo or Ableton, and my machine doesn't crash/freeze.

mind you, this machine never has and will never touch the net, and doesn't have eleventy billion background processes running all the time like most people's pc's.

my last pc was a piece of garbage, but both my current boxes run great.

it's not like I don't use a mac for production regularly to compare with. we're running a G5 dual processor rig at the studio with 3 presonus firepods. it's a BEAUTIFUL box. if I had the cash I would buy another immediately. I've really been warming up to logic.

but, my little home setup works great, so no complaints.
avatar
Alan_

Number of posts : 1589
Points : 4843
Registration date : 2009-08-18
Age : 47

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Ableton question

Post by KidLogic on Wed Sep 16, 2009 3:52 pm

if it works, dont fix it... pcs can be great if you actually know what youre doing with them, and have them set up just like you said you do Alan_

I use my PC for Serato and thats it.
avatar
KidLogic
The Notorious K.I.D.
The Notorious K.I.D.

Number of posts : 1825
Points : 5146
Registration date : 2008-07-31
Age : 39
Location : SuperNormous

View user profile http://www.myspace.com/kidlogic

Back to top Go down

Re: Ableton question

Post by Spud Crowley on Wed Sep 16, 2009 4:06 pm

actually my macbook is closer to 3 years old now. goddamn time is flying.
avatar
Spud Crowley

Number of posts : 9260
Points : 13074
Registration date : 2008-07-30
Age : 105

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Ableton question

Post by POOEE on Wed Sep 16, 2009 4:15 pm

Captain Fuck Yeah wrote:can't use vsts on a mac

you're high

VST is cross-platform

_________________
CHECK OUT MY WEBSITE
avatar
POOEE
WODKA

Number of posts : 8474
Points : 33475
Registration date : 2008-07-29
Age : 106

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Ableton question

Post by Alan_ on Wed Sep 16, 2009 4:17 pm

the only thing I hate as far as macs and plugins is when they on occasion randomly decide to "upgrade" plugin formats in logic, and you have to get all new plugins. that is waaack.
avatar
Alan_

Number of posts : 1589
Points : 4843
Registration date : 2009-08-18
Age : 47

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Ableton question

Post by POOEE on Wed Sep 16, 2009 4:18 pm

Chris wrote:get a mac

:trap:

_________________
CHECK OUT MY WEBSITE
avatar
POOEE
WODKA

Number of posts : 8474
Points : 33475
Registration date : 2008-07-29
Age : 106

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Ableton question

Post by HOT DAMN on Wed Sep 16, 2009 4:19 pm

JJ wrote:
Captain Fuck Yeah wrote:can't use vsts on a mac

you're high

VST is cross-platform

yeah, i generalized.

there are a whole lot that you cannot use on a mac.

_________________
Chris Hanson
avatar
HOT DAMN
IS A COP
IS A COP

Number of posts : 14742
Points : 457788
Registration date : 2008-07-30
Age : 34
Location : bitch I look like OJ

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Ableton question

Post by POOEE on Wed Sep 16, 2009 4:23 pm

IMHO...

you only need a few good synths

here's my list:

Access Virus
EmulatorX2
Reaktor5
Albino2
Powercore 01
Orca

all legit, no cracks

cheers

_________________
CHECK OUT MY WEBSITE
avatar
POOEE
WODKA

Number of posts : 8474
Points : 33475
Registration date : 2008-07-29
Age : 106

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Ableton question

Post by KidLogic on Wed Sep 16, 2009 4:23 pm

Alan_ wrote:the only thing I hate as far as macs and plugins is when they on occasion randomly decide to "upgrade" plugin formats in logic, and you have to get all new plugins. that is waaack.

another reason ableton wins!
avatar
KidLogic
The Notorious K.I.D.
The Notorious K.I.D.

Number of posts : 1825
Points : 5146
Registration date : 2008-07-31
Age : 39
Location : SuperNormous

View user profile http://www.myspace.com/kidlogic

Back to top Go down

Re: Ableton question

Post by KidLogic on Wed Sep 16, 2009 4:24 pm

JJ wrote:IMHO...

you only need a few good synths

here's my list:

Access Virus
EmulatorX2
Reaktor5
Albino2
Powercore 01
Orca

all legit, no cracks

cheers

I barely ever use more than the Arp2600 emulator I have or reason to make a sound... I prefer samples for most of my stuff. Very rarely is there a synth that hasnt been bounced and then fucked with.
avatar
KidLogic
The Notorious K.I.D.
The Notorious K.I.D.

Number of posts : 1825
Points : 5146
Registration date : 2008-07-31
Age : 39
Location : SuperNormous

View user profile http://www.myspace.com/kidlogic

Back to top Go down

Re: Ableton question

Post by Alan_ on Wed Sep 16, 2009 4:26 pm

KidLogic wrote:
Alan_ wrote:the only thing I hate as far as macs and plugins is when they on occasion randomly decide to "upgrade" plugin formats in logic, and you have to get all new plugins. that is waaack.

another reason ableton wins!

for electronic music, YES, but I find Logic or Nuendo to be far superior for live instrument recording/mixing. heck, nuendo kills everything as far as clean multitrack summing/rendering goes.

I wish you could edit midi piano roll in ableton as easily as you can in reason. reason has some really cool little features that save a lot of time if you're step programming.


Last edited by Alan_ on Wed Sep 16, 2009 4:27 pm; edited 1 time in total
avatar
Alan_

Number of posts : 1589
Points : 4843
Registration date : 2009-08-18
Age : 47

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Ableton question

Post by KidLogic on Wed Sep 16, 2009 4:27 pm

Alan_ wrote:
KidLogic wrote:
Alan_ wrote:the only thing I hate as far as macs and plugins is when they on occasion randomly decide to "upgrade" plugin formats in logic, and you have to get all new plugins. that is waaack.

another reason ableton wins!

for electronic music, yes, but I find Logic or Nuendo to be far superior for live instrument recording/mixing. heck, nuendo kills everything as far as clean multitrack summing/rendering goes.

True... I havent done much live recording since school. Def Nuendo or ProTools if I do though.
avatar
KidLogic
The Notorious K.I.D.
The Notorious K.I.D.

Number of posts : 1825
Points : 5146
Registration date : 2008-07-31
Age : 39
Location : SuperNormous

View user profile http://www.myspace.com/kidlogic

Back to top Go down

Re: Ableton question

Post by POOEE on Wed Sep 16, 2009 4:28 pm

well, there is always the VST - AU Wrapper by FXPansion

I dig everyone singing the praises of Ableton Live

eventhough I am a Cubase5 user

just could never understand the protools snobbery

unless you are running an HD system, you can shove that MBox where the sun don't shine

_________________
CHECK OUT MY WEBSITE
avatar
POOEE
WODKA

Number of posts : 8474
Points : 33475
Registration date : 2008-07-29
Age : 106

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Ableton question

Post by Spud Crowley on Wed Sep 16, 2009 4:29 pm

i am mad at ableton for limiting basic functionality to get you to spend more money
avatar
Spud Crowley

Number of posts : 9260
Points : 13074
Registration date : 2008-07-30
Age : 105

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Ableton question

Post by Alan_ on Wed Sep 16, 2009 4:29 pm

man, I've been super sold on nuendo for a while, but logic's measuring up pretty well.

another studio I recorded drums in recently has a protools rig. SO seamless and integrated.

yeah, if you ain't running realdeal protools, even lowly cubase kicks it to the kerb.
avatar
Alan_

Number of posts : 1589
Points : 4843
Registration date : 2009-08-18
Age : 47

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Ableton question

Post by Alan_ on Wed Sep 16, 2009 4:31 pm

Chris wrote:i am mad at ableton for limiting basic functionality to get you to spend more money

how you mean? my legit copy of live 7 came with pretty much all the stuff.
avatar
Alan_

Number of posts : 1589
Points : 4843
Registration date : 2009-08-18
Age : 47

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Ableton question

Post by Alan_ on Wed Sep 16, 2009 4:31 pm

OR DID IT?! Vanilla Ice
avatar
Alan_

Number of posts : 1589
Points : 4843
Registration date : 2009-08-18
Age : 47

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Ableton question

Post by KidLogic on Wed Sep 16, 2009 4:32 pm

yeah... protools lite or whatever its called... m-powered or some shit.. lame, doesnt even hold a candle to what it can really do

im not anti- logic... i just didnt like it the few times ive used it, some things are (or at least were) really counter-intuitive for me
avatar
KidLogic
The Notorious K.I.D.
The Notorious K.I.D.

Number of posts : 1825
Points : 5146
Registration date : 2008-07-31
Age : 39
Location : SuperNormous

View user profile http://www.myspace.com/kidlogic

Back to top Go down

Re: Ableton question

Post by KidLogic on Wed Sep 16, 2009 4:33 pm

Alan_ wrote:
Chris wrote:i am mad at ableton for limiting basic functionality to get you to spend more money

how you mean? my legit copy of live 7 came with pretty much all the stuff.

I think he's talking about with 8... theres a few modules you have to buy separate... Im still on 5 cause im broke
avatar
KidLogic
The Notorious K.I.D.
The Notorious K.I.D.

Number of posts : 1825
Points : 5146
Registration date : 2008-07-31
Age : 39
Location : SuperNormous

View user profile http://www.myspace.com/kidlogic

Back to top Go down

Re: Ableton question

Post by HOT DAMN on Wed Sep 16, 2009 4:33 pm

depends on what version you get, the ableton 7 suite has all of it.

the version i have (just plain ol' ableton 7, not the suite) is missing the sampler, tension, operator, and a few other things as well.

weird thing is that it has the drum rack which is just a shitload of samplers.

_________________
Chris Hanson
avatar
HOT DAMN
IS A COP
IS A COP

Number of posts : 14742
Points : 457788
Registration date : 2008-07-30
Age : 34
Location : bitch I look like OJ

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Ableton question

Post by Spud Crowley on Wed Sep 16, 2009 4:33 pm

i have a legit copy

i mean i can't highlight a selection of audio, right click it and reverse it

i have to buy the upgraded pack with sampler to do that
avatar
Spud Crowley

Number of posts : 9260
Points : 13074
Registration date : 2008-07-30
Age : 105

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Ableton question

Post by KidLogic on Wed Sep 16, 2009 4:35 pm

Chris wrote:i have a legit copy

i mean i can't highlight a selection of audio, right click it and reverse it

i have to buy the upgraded pack with sampler to do that

I cant do that on 5... was that added since? I have to do it in the clip level at the bottom of the session view.
avatar
KidLogic
The Notorious K.I.D.
The Notorious K.I.D.

Number of posts : 1825
Points : 5146
Registration date : 2008-07-31
Age : 39
Location : SuperNormous

View user profile http://www.myspace.com/kidlogic

Back to top Go down

Re: Ableton question

Post by Alan_ on Wed Sep 16, 2009 4:36 pm

yeah, logic's WEIRD at first. now that I'm up to speed I'm flyin on it.

parson: you using 7? I got the suite, and it has sampler, as shane was sayin.

I think that's kind of lame. it's like "if you wanted to charge that amount, then do it, but put it all in one box ferchrissakes".

re earlier synth usage stuff: I've been using albino a LOT. almost exclusively. I have a couple of grittier synths I like too, but albino is superpowerful, clean and deep sounding.
avatar
Alan_

Number of posts : 1589
Points : 4843
Registration date : 2009-08-18
Age : 47

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Ableton question

Post by Spud Crowley on Wed Sep 16, 2009 4:37 pm

KidLogic wrote:
Chris wrote:i have a legit copy

i mean i can't highlight a selection of audio, right click it and reverse it

i have to buy the upgraded pack with sampler to do that

I cant do that on 5... was that added since? I have to do it in the clip level at the bottom of the session view.

oh i might just be dumb
avatar
Spud Crowley

Number of posts : 9260
Points : 13074
Registration date : 2008-07-30
Age : 105

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Ableton question

Post by HOT DAMN on Wed Sep 16, 2009 4:38 pm

Alan_ wrote:yeah, logic's WEIRD at first. now that I'm up to speed I'm flyin on it.

parson: you using 7? I got the suite, and it has sampler, as shane was sayin.

I think that's kind of lame. it's like "if you wanted to charge that amount, then do it, but put it all in one box ferchrissakes".

re earlier synth usage stuff: I've been using albino a LOT. almost exclusively. I have a couple of grittier synths I like too, but albino is superpowerful, clean and deep sounding.

yeah me and parson both have the regular copy, not the suite. it does not include the sampler.

_________________
Chris Hanson
avatar
HOT DAMN
IS A COP
IS A COP

Number of posts : 14742
Points : 457788
Registration date : 2008-07-30
Age : 34
Location : bitch I look like OJ

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Ableton question

Post by KidLogic on Wed Sep 16, 2009 4:39 pm

Chris wrote:
KidLogic wrote:
Chris wrote:i have a legit copy

i mean i can't highlight a selection of audio, right click it and reverse it

i have to buy the upgraded pack with sampler to do that

I cant do that on 5... was that added since? I have to do it in the clip level at the bottom of the session view.

oh i might just be dumb

Nah, it makes sense that they'd add it between then and now... I just havent upgraded in forever cause Im cheap.
avatar
KidLogic
The Notorious K.I.D.
The Notorious K.I.D.

Number of posts : 1825
Points : 5146
Registration date : 2008-07-31
Age : 39
Location : SuperNormous

View user profile http://www.myspace.com/kidlogic

Back to top Go down

Re: Ableton question

Post by Alan_ on Wed Sep 16, 2009 4:41 pm

also, I don't always find upgrading to the latest/greatest to be necessary, or even beneficial. if it'll do VST's, midi sequencing, and 24/96, I'm squared away.
avatar
Alan_

Number of posts : 1589
Points : 4843
Registration date : 2009-08-18
Age : 47

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Ableton question

Post by KidLogic on Wed Sep 16, 2009 4:43 pm

Theres some features I def want that have come out between 5 and 7, and now 8, so its gonna happen, but I got it sounding pretty good for my final mixdowns, so Im not really in a rush. Upgrading at this point means figuring out some new workflows based on the changes, and Ive gotten pretty fast with my current ones, so Im hesitent for that reason as well. Soon though, soon. I want drum racks.
avatar
KidLogic
The Notorious K.I.D.
The Notorious K.I.D.

Number of posts : 1825
Points : 5146
Registration date : 2008-07-31
Age : 39
Location : SuperNormous

View user profile http://www.myspace.com/kidlogic

Back to top Go down

Re: Ableton question

Post by HOT DAMN on Wed Sep 16, 2009 4:44 pm

i love drum rack

_________________
Chris Hanson
avatar
HOT DAMN
IS A COP
IS A COP

Number of posts : 14742
Points : 457788
Registration date : 2008-07-30
Age : 34
Location : bitch I look like OJ

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Ableton question

Post by Sponsored content


Sponsored content


Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

- Similar topics

 
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum