BASSINVADERS DOT INFO
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

what do you consider to be essential for production?

4 posters

Go down

what do you consider to be essential for production? Empty what do you consider to be essential for production?

Post by HOT DAMN Wed Dec 12, 2012 3:05 pm

cleaning all my shit up has got me thinking about that a lot. having a shitload of plugins and a shitload of samples is always awesome but i feel like it can also over complicate shit a whole lot at times.

what do you consider essential to your workflow?
HOT DAMN
HOT DAMN
IS A COP
IS A COP

Number of posts : 14744
Registration date : 2008-07-30

Back to top Go down

what do you consider to be essential for production? Empty Re: what do you consider to be essential for production?

Post by POOEE Wed Dec 12, 2012 4:11 pm

Having too much shit to choose from can convolute your whole workflow

IMHO you need...

ONE GOOD SYNTH (Massive / FM8 / Reaktor / Animoog / Access Virus etc..) - all of these advanced synths have bass patches, dirty leads, pads etc. Find the one that makes sense for you and learn the shit out of it.

DRUMS - Preferably controlled by some form of drum pad or controller. 808's, 909's, Jomox sounds are essential. if you want to be artsy, you can get into acoustic sounding drums but lets face it.. this is dance music and 808's are what you're going to use most.

RECORDS / SAMPLES or anything to sample from. Chords stabs, old rave sounds, accapellas, etc.. nowadays everything is on the net

EFFECTS - Filters, delays, chorus, flange etc..

MASTERING TOOLS - Limiters, compressors, etc... whichever brand you use, they all do the same thing.. some do it better than others

of course you will need the extras (monitors, controller, soundcard, etc..) but now that everyone is mobile, those things are becoming less and less crucial

POOEE
POOEE
WODKA

Number of posts : 8474
Registration date : 2008-07-29

Back to top Go down

what do you consider to be essential for production? Empty Re: what do you consider to be essential for production?

Post by HOT DAMN Wed Dec 12, 2012 4:44 pm

i was talking to paul last night about how you could easily do pretty much whatever you need with a copy of ableton and a copy of komplete.
HOT DAMN
HOT DAMN
IS A COP
IS A COP

Back to top Go down

Post by HOT DAMN Wed Dec 12, 2012 4:44 pm

but i guess really you could a whole lot with just ableton suite
HOT DAMN
HOT DAMN
IS A COP
IS A COP

Back to top Go down

Post by Soccer Mom Thu Dec 13, 2012 3:27 pm

Smell Gibson wrote:i was talking to paul last night about how you could easily do pretty much whatever you need with a copy of ableton and a copy of komplete.
YEAH, SOFTWARE WISE, THE ONLY OTHER THING ASIDE FROM THE ABLETON PLUGINS AND THE NI SHIT THAT I CONSIDER ESSENTIAL IS A SOLID LIMITER/MULTIBAND COMPRESSOR LIKE VOXENGO ELEPHANT OR THE WAVES L3 OR SOMETHING QUALITY TO STRAP ON THE MASTER.

I ALSO CONSIDER A GOOD SOUNDCARD AN ESSENTIAL PIECE OF KIT. IT REALLY DOES MAKE A HUGE DIFFERENCE.
Soccer Mom
Soccer Mom
prefers negative rep

Number of posts : 7537
Registration date : 2009-08-20

Back to top Go down

Post by POOEE Thu Dec 13, 2012 6:59 pm

^^Agree, especially if you are finalizing your tune

but you can make tunes on a crappy soundcard, export the wavs and take it to the badbwoy studio and mix the shit down
POOEE
POOEE
WODKA

Back to top Go down

Post by Soccer Mom Thu Dec 13, 2012 8:08 pm

JJ wrote:^^Agree, especially if you are finalizing your tune

but you can make tunes on a crappy soundcard, export the wavs and take it to the badbwoy studio and mix the shit down
YEAH BUT IT AFFECTS WORKFLOW IF YOU CAN'T RESAMPLE ON THE FLY, AND WORKFLOW IS ALWAYS THE MOST IMPORTANT PART OF WRITING MUSIC IMO

THAT'S WHY A GOOD ORGANIZED SAMPLE LIBRARY IS ALSO A KEY PART OF YOUR ARSENAL
Soccer Mom
Soccer Mom
prefers negative rep

Number of posts : 7537
Registration date : 2009-08-20

Back to top Go down

Post by POOEE Sun Dec 16, 2012 3:44 pm

yeah, and templates that have drums pre-loaded are crucial also
POOEE
POOEE
WODKA

Back to top Go down

Post by HOT DAMN Sun Dec 16, 2012 3:50 pm

that's not a bad idea. i have a drumrack i'll just load up with drums that already are eq'd and shit and tweak them according to what i'm doing but having templates is essentially the same thing but quicker.
HOT DAMN
HOT DAMN
IS A COP
IS A COP

Back to top Go down

Post by The White Isaac Wed Jan 16, 2013 4:15 pm

Soccer Mom wrote:
JJ wrote:^^Agree, especially if you are finalizing your tune

YEAH BUT IT AFFECTS WORKFLOW IF YOU CAN'T RESAMPLE ON THE FLY, AND WORKFLOW IS ALWAYS THE MOST IMPORTANT PART OF WRITING MUSIC IMO

THAT'S WHY A GOOD ORGANIZED SAMPLE LIBRARY IS ALSO A KEY PART OF YOUR ARSENAL

i feel this work flow. ableton has changed how i write tracks and i'm able to do stuff really fast now.

i'm still learning, but i just figured out sidechain compression and that is most essential now when doing my tracks.
The White Isaac
The White Isaac
IT'S THE BEST VACATION EVAR

Number of posts : 4992
Registration date : 2010-04-20

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down